Our BBQ Story
Accolades and press nods remind us that our work to stay atop of our game is a reality at Wiley’s Championship BBQ! Rave reviews on TripAdvisor.com keep us in the top 20 Savannah restaurants.
- Named 4th best BBQ joint in the U.S. by TripAdvisor.com readers and featured on Good Morning America, Smarter Travel on Huffington Post
- 2010 – 2015 “Best of the Best” BBQ Restaurants in America National BBQ News.
- National Barbecue News voted Wiley’s Championship BBQ cookbook “2015 Book of the Year”.
- ExploreGeorgia named Wiley’s to the “Best Barbecue Joints in Georgia“
- Wiley’s was named to represent Georgia among the Best BBQ in Every State (and DC) by Thrillist, Dan Gentile.
- Voted “Best Savannah BBQ” 2010 -2014 by readers of Savannah Magazine
- Named “Best BBQ” by readers of Connect Savannah, and “Best Savannah BBQ Ribs” 2010 – 2015.
- 2010-2014 Best BBQ Savannah Morning News Readers’ Choice.
- FoodieHubTV features Wiley’s Pork, Ribs, Beef Brisket, and Sweet Potato Casserole.
In 2005 Wiley, along with his wife Janet, fulfilled a lifelong dream and moved to Savannah, GA to make it their home and create a new business, Savannah BBQ & Catering. The catering business morphed into their restaurant Wiley’s Championship BBQ, opening September 12, 2008.
Wiley and Janet bring a strong professional competition bbq resume to Savannah and Georgia barbecue. Among the many award-winning honors they have received are the following:On the barbecue competition circuit, Janet and Wiley are true champions!
National BBQ News Caterers of the Year
Georgia State Champions
South Carolina State Champions
Alabama Reserve Grand Champions
Nashville, TN Fanfair Reserve Grand Champions
North Carolina State Championship, Reserve Grand Champions
Wiley and Janet have cooked and competed all across the US –
from Cape Cod, Maine to Las Vegas, Nevada and even San Diego, California.
August 5-6, 2006, State of Georgia KCBS Championship, Dillard, GA
Wiley and Janet finished tied for second overall! (out of 57 teams)
2nd Place Brisket
7th Place Chicken
1st Place Grits
3rd Place Cabbage
October 2006 found them claiming first place in pork butts and first place in ribs at the Alee Shriners of Savannah Grilling for a Cause Festival sponsored by Bass Pro Shops.
The first part of November 2006 Savannah BBQ and Catering competed in the National BBQ Festival’s Smokin’ on the Square held in Douglas, GA. They finished 10th overall out of 67 teams and were invited to compete in the 2007 Best of the Best Competition.
At the 2007 National BBQ Festival Wiley and Janet placed 1st in ribs and 1st in brisket and placed third overall…competing as Savannah BBQ & Catering.
Along the way they have received 5 “180” pins, which indicate a very hard to receive perfect score. The barbecue champions were the focus of a CNN documentary, Hog Heaven, about competition BBQ! Some of their catering clients include CNN Atlanta, Coca Cola, Bell South, Georgia Power, and the 11th US Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.
Let the now Savannah barbecue champions, Wiley and Janet, bring their culinary expertise to your next event and you will enjoy a whole new experience in BBQ. Let Wiley’s Championship BBQ take the worry out of your Christian retreat, family reunion, corporate event or whatever special event you are planning.
No job is too large for us to handle! Since we own 2 Southern Pride SPK 700 smoking pits, which each can hold 700 pounds of meat, we can accommodate any size function or fundraiser! Bring it on and let “The BBQ General” take charge .